Frequently Asked Questions

For on campus and domestic travel Intersession courses:
Special Academic Programs: (305) 284-3889

For International faculty-led travel Intersession courses:
Study Abroad: (305) 284-3434

Open All Tabs
  • What are the 2020 dates?

    January Intersession: January 2-12, 2020
    Spring Break Intersession: March 8-15, 2020

    Please look at individual class listing for specifics of dates/times within the Intersession.

  • How much is the tuition?

    January and spring Intersession 2020 on-campus and domestic travel courses are offered at $2,100 per credit hour.* Intersession credit tuition charges are separate from and in addition to spring semester tuition charges; tuition credit charges ARE NOT included in the full time 12-20 credit hours "flat rate" of the spring semester.

    *Tuition prices are subject to change. (Please verify charges for the Faculty-Led International Travel January and spring Intersession through the Office of Study Abroad).

  • When is a payment due?

    • January Intersession tuition charges are due before the first day of Intersession.
    • Spring Intersession tuition charges follow the same pay schedule as charges for the spring semester; payment is before the start of the semester.
    • Payment or arrangements to pay can be made on CaneLink or at the Office of Student Account Services, 158 Ashe Building, 305-284-6430.

  • Will my financial aid/scholarships pay for the course?

    Some financial aid and scholarships do apply. You must verify this with your specific funding source prior to class start dates.

  • When can I register?

    Registration begins November 4, 2019 by appointment, along with spring registration.

  • Is there a registration deadline?

    For most Intersession classes, registration must be completed before noon on the last business day the University is open, before the first day of class. Students must be registered to attend the Intersession class. Registration is contingent upon availability.

    NOTE: The University of Miami will be closed from December 24, 2019, through January 1, 2020. The University will reopen on January 2, 2020.

  • If I am currently enrolled at UM do I need to fill out an application?

    No, all you need to do is register online through CaneLink or request an Intersession course with your advisor at the same time you register for your spring classes.

  • I am not currently enrolled at UM, can I take an Intersession class?

    If you are more than two years out of high school and meet all the requirements stated in the nondegree-seeking application, you can apply as a nondegree-seeking student. Once you have been approved for the non-degree seeking status you can register for an Intersession class. Please visit for complete policies and applications for nondegree-seeking status.

  • What if I decide to drop the course?

    Not attending/not paying does NOT drop you from the course. Students who decide to drop an Intersession course they are registered for must complete a Change of Course form signed by their advisor and may only submit it for processing through the Office of Special Academic Programs (Allen Hall #111) or by email to If the correct procedure is not used, any refund due may not be applied. For a refund, courses must be dropped before the first day of class. No academic drops are allowed after the first day of class. For more information, call the Office of Special Academic Programs at (305) 284-3889.

  • When do I get my grade for the January Intersession/Spring Intersession course?

    Grades for January Intersession and Spring Intersession courses will be distributed with the spring semester grades in May.

  • If I am a UM employee, are the credit courses I enrolled in covered by the Employee Tuition Remission Benefit?

    If you are a full-time UM employee with tuition remission benefits, please visit please UM Human Resources' Education Benefit Web Page for further information regarding the tuition remission benefits.